Duterte Wants Impeachment Bids Against Philippine VP Stopped

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte told proponents Thursday to stop trying to impeach the vice president because she hasn’t committed any “overt acts” that could be grounds for her ouster.

Vice President Leni Robredo has criticized Duterte’s bloody anti-drug crackdown and other policies, but the president said she has the right to free speech and that removing her from office would damage the country.

Philippine presidents and vice presidents are elected separately and often come from rival political parties, like Duterte and Robredo, a former human rights lawyer.

“Guys, lay off. Let’s stop it. You can do other things but do not tinker with the structure of government. I will not countenance it,” Duterte said when asked at a news conference about an impeachment complaint filed this week against Robredo in the House of Representatives.

“She was elected so why do you have to … just because she keeps on harping on me? Let her, this is a democracy, freedom of speech … there are no overt acts committed,” said the president, a former government prosecutor. “Why will you destroy the country?”

Duterte also was the subject of an impeachment complaint filed last week over his anti-drug crackdown, which has left thousands of mostly poor drug suspects dead, and alleged corruption, although the bid faces an uphill battle with Duterte’s allies holding an overwhelming majority in Congress.

Duterte denies condoning extrajudicial killings but has repeatedly threatened drug lords and dealers with death in public speeches. The United States, European governments and U.N. rights officials have expressed alarm over the large number of killings in the crackdown.

Early this week, a lawyer and a losing senatorial candidate filed a draft impeachment complaint against Robredo in the House, alleging she violated the constitution and betrayed the public trust with her actions, including a videotaped message to a U.N.-linked human rights forum in which “she betrayed the people by shaming the nation with her dishonest message to the United Nations.”

In her message, Robredo raised concerns about the mounting number of killings of drug suspects in raids she described as “summary executions,” and about a lack of transparency and accountability in Duterte’s crackdown. The drug problem, she said, can’t be solved “with bullets alone,” adding that Filipinos should “defy brazen incursions on their rights.”

The remarks were one of Robredo’s sharpest criticisms of the president’s campaign and drew criticism from Duterte’s allies, including House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, who said he also would study the possibility of filing an impeachment bid against Robredo, who he said undermined the Duterte administration before the international community.

Another group of lawyers said at a news conference Thursday that they plan to file another impeachment complaint against Robredo in the House, which is on a summer break.

Robredo, who belongs to the opposition Liberal Party, resigned from a Cabinet post in December after being prevented from attending Cabinet meetings, citing “major differences in principles and values” with Duterte.

 

далі →


Former Russian Lawmaker Killed in Kyiv

Former Russian lawmaker Denis Voronenkov was shot dead in Kyiv Thursday in a likely contract killing ordered by Russia, Ukrainian police said.

Voronenkov fled to Ukraine last year, fearing for his safety and testified in a treason case against Ukraine’s pro-Russia former president, Viktor Yanukovych.

Ukraine’s general prosecutor, Yuriy Lutsenko, said Voronenkov’s testimony in the case likely led to his death.

“In broad daylight in the center of Kyiv, former Russian lawmaker Denis Voronenkov was shot,” Lutsenko said. “He had provided investigators of the military prosecutor’s office with highly important (witness) testimony for the case. This was a typical show execution of a witness by the Kremlin.”

Police said Voronenkov was standing outside a hotel in central Kyiv when the assailant shot and killed him. Voronenkov’s bodyguard was also wounded, but returned fire and hit the gunman.

Both men are now hospitalized, police said.

Ilya Ponomarev, another former Russian lawmaker who fled to Ukraine, said Voronenkov was on his way to meet him when the shooting occurred.

“I have no words. The security guard was able to injure the attacker. The potential theory is obvious. Voronenko was not a crook, but an investigator who was fatally dangerous to Russian authorities,” he wrote on Facebook.

Moscow has denied any involvement in the murder.

“We believe that any insinuations that can already be heard of a so-called Russian connection are absurd,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian news agencies.

далі →


МЗС: українців немає серед постраждалих від теракту в Лондоні

Департамент консульської служби Міністерства закордонних справ України заявляє, що українців немає серед постраждалих внаслідок нападу в центрі Лондона, що стався 22 березня.

«Поліція Лондона повідомила список загиблих і поранених. Українців серед них немає», – йдеться в повідомленні департаменту в Twitter.

Раніше керівник управління консульського забезпечення державної консульської служби МЗС Василь Кирилич повідомив Радіо Свобода, що британська поліція встановила громадянство осіб, які постраждали унаслідок теракту 22 березня у середмісті Лондона, і працює з посольствами країн, чиї громадяни постраждали. До українського посольства поліцейські не зверталися, додав він.

За даними поліції британської столиці, 22 березня нападник спершу збив автомобілем кількох перехожих на Вестмінстерському мосту, а потім вдарив ножем поліцейського біля будівлі парламенту. Загинули чотири людини, зокрема і сам нападник, якого застрелила поліція, десятки людей поранені, із них сім перебувають у критичному стані.

Відповідальність за напад взяло на себе екстремістське угруповання «Ісламська держава».

далі →


Vietnam Detains Bloggers

Vietnam sends a warning to those blogging online. The man accused of killing Kem Ley in Cambodia is sentenced. Plus, Thailand looks to curb the “Seven Days of Death.” VOA’s Steve Miller has your Asia news, in a minute.

далі →


«Ісламська держава» взяла відповідальність за теракт у Лондоні

Екстремістське угруповання «Ісламська держава» заявляє, що нападник, який здійснив теракт у центрі столиці Великої Британії, Лондона, 22 березня, був одним із його «солдатів».

Як йдеться в заяві на сайті, близькому до угруповання, напад був здійснений «на заклик атакувати громадян» країн, що беруть участь у коаліції сил під керівництвом США, що бореться з ісламістами в Іраку і Сирії.

Раніше 23 березня прем’єр Британії Тереза Мей заявила, що нападник, який вбив трьох людей і поранив ще 40 поблизу будівлі парламенту в Лондоні, народився у Великій Британії і був відомий поліції до того, як намагався «змусив замовкнути демократію».

Виступаючи в Палаті громад, Мей заявила, що нападника перевіряли раніше силові структури через екстремізм. Поліція опрацьовує припущення, що він діяв під впливом ісламістського тероризму, додала прем’єр.

За даними влади, 22 березня нападник смертельно поранив поліцейського після того, як в’їхав на автомобілі у перехожих на Вестмінстерському мосту, де загинули дві людини і були поранені 40, серед них громадяни Великої Британії, Франції, Румунії, Південної Кореї, Німеччини, Польщі, Китаю, США і Греції.

Нападника, ім’я якого не називають, невдовзі застрелили поліцейські.

«Вчора терористичний акт намагався змусити замовкнути нашу демократію, але сьогодні ми зустрічаємося, як зазвичай, як це робили покоління до нас і продовжать робити майбутні покоління, щоб донести простий меседж: ми не боїмося, і наша рішучість ніколи не здригнеться перед лицем тероризму», сказала Мей.

Поліція 23 березня повідомила про арешт семи осіб у рамках розслідування, що проводять через теракт.

Напад у Лондоні стався в річницю терактів у бельгійському Брюсселі, де рік тому сталися вибухи в аеропорту і метро, внаслідок чого загинули 32 людини.

далі →


Район займання на арсеналах у Балаклії розширився – Міноборони

На артилерійських складах Міністерства оборони України біля Балаклії Харківської області станом на 13:00 відбулося розширення району, охопленого вогнем, повідомляє Міноборони.

За повідомленням, локалізувати пожежу поки що не вдалося.

«Військовослужбовці Збройних сил України і представники ДСНС роблять все можливе для ліквідації катастрофи. Проведено евакуацію жителів прилеглих сіл. Працюють бригади, які шукають тих, хто не виїхав із небезпечної зони», – заявив речник Міністерства оборони України Віталій Саранцев.

Раніше в поліції повідомили про одну поранену людину внаслідок вибухів на артскладах, що почалися у ніч на 23 березня. Як повідомила Радіо Свобода керівник відділу комунікацій управління Нацполіції в Харківській області Олена Баранник, з пораненням у скроню поранену людину доправили до Балакліївської центральної районної лікарні. Інших подробиць у поліції не навели, але заявили, що даних про загиблих не мають.

Головний військовий прокурор України Анатолій Матіос повідомив, що прокуратура розглядає дві версії причин вибухів. Пріоритетною, за його словами, є версія про диверсію, але не виключають і службову недбалість.

Він також заявив, що гасіння пожежі на складах наразі неможливе через детонацію боєприпасів.

Міністр оборони Степан Полторак раніше заявив, що пожежа не завдала значної шкоди обороноздатності України.

Раніше головний військовий прокурор України Анатолій Матіос на сторінці у Facebook зазначив, що на артскладах зберігаються 138 тисяч тонн боєприпасів, а загальна площа арсеналу розташована на 368 гектарах.

Влада ухвалила рішення про збільшення до 10 кілометрів радіусу зони проведення евакуації навколо артилерійських складів і повідомила про евакуацію 20 тисяч людей.

далі →


‘I Won’t Hide,’ — Voronenkov Said, One Month Before Assassination

Former Russian legislator Denis Voronenkov said he was not concerned for his safety and would not hide, in an interview on February 21 — a month before he was shot dead on a street in Kyiv in broad daylight. Voronenkov, who defected to Ukraine in 2016, was speaking to Current Time TV presenter Timur Olyevsky.

далі →


The Daily Vertical: Moscow’s New ‘Fellow Travelers’

The views expressed in this commentary do not necessarily reflect the views of RFE/RL.

далі →


US Supreme Court Nominee Grilled About Bush-era Torture Program

U.S. Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch was grilled Wednesday during testimony before a Senate panel about his role in approving severe interrogation methods when he was an attorney in President George W. Bush’s administration.

The top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Dianne Feinstein, questioned Gorsuch about why he had written “yes” on a document next to a question about whether a CIA torture program had produced useful intelligence.

“My recollection of 12 years ago is that that was the position that the clients were telling us,” Gorsuch said. “I was a lawyer. My job was as an advocate, and we were dealing with detainee litigation. That was my job.”

Another Democrat, Senator Patrick Leahy, asked Gorsuch if he agreed with the Bush administration’s premise that the president has the authority to revoke torture and surveillance laws. Leahy said the Bush administration argued that “the law” gave presidents the constitutional authority to circumvent such measures.

Gorsuch replied that “Presidents make all sorts of arguments about inherent authority – they do – and that is why we have the courts, to decide.”

On his third day of questioning by the Senate panel, Gorsuch defended his philosophy of judicial originalism, which focuses on the Constitution’s text, saying it is meant to provide equal protection for all.

When Senator Feinstein asked how the philosophy reconciles with the rights of gays and lesbians, Gorsuch noted there was precedence on the issue. “It matters not a whit that some of the drafters of the 14th Amendment were racists, because they were, or sexists, because they were.”

“The law they drafted promises equal protection of the law to add persons,” he added.

Gorsuch tried to distance himself from reports that President Trump, White House advisor Steve Bannon and White House Chief of Staff Prince Priebus told donors they would nominate a Supreme Court justice who is “pro-corporate and socially conservative.”

Gorsuch responded that he speaks for himself, and not the president or anyone else.

Democrats have portrayed Gorsuch as a pro-corporate jurist who would tilt the legal playing field against ordinary Americans, and continued to press him on cases in which he sided with large companies over their employees.

Judicial nominees, both liberal and conservative, historically have refused to allow themselves to be pinned down on pending legal issues during their confirmation hearings, and Gorsuch continued to do the same.

Republicans hold a slim two-seat Senate majority and would need eight Democrats to support Gorsuch should a filibuster necessitate a three-fifths vote to advance his nomination in the full chamber.

 

Democrats are under intense pressure from progressive activists to oppose Gorsuch, but Republicans have the option of changing Senate rules to eliminate the minority party’s ability to block Supreme Court nominees should Democrats vote as a block against him.

далі →


54 молодих вчених України отримають гранти президента на понад 3,5 мільйона гривень – Міносвіти

Уряд схвалив проект розпорядження президента України, що передбачає надання грантів 54 молодим українським вченим на загальну суму 3 мільйони 540 тисяч гривень, повідомили у прес-службі Міністерства освіти і науки України.

«Гроші на ці гранти вже зарезервовано у державному бюджеті на 2017 рік. Для того, щоб ці кошти були надані молодим науковцям, залишився один крок – підписання відповідного розпорядження президентом України», – мовиться в повідомленні міністерства.

Повідомляється, що на конкурс упродовж минулого року до Держфонду фундаментальних досліджень щодо здобуття грантів президента у 2017-му подали 152 заявки. В результаті було відібрано 54 претенденти від різних вишів України. Їхній вік від 28 до 36 років.

Раніше міністр освіти і науки України Лілія Гриневич заявила, що відомство планує збільшити підтримку молодих вчених в Україні.

Минулоріч МОН започаткувало конкурс наукових проектів для молодих науковців. На поточний рік сума фінансування конкурсу становитиме 28,4 мільйона гривень.

далі →