NATO Chief Urges Countries to Keep Up with Defense Spending

A NATO top official told European allies Monday to increase spending on military funds, as requested by U.S. President Donald Trump, if they expect to keep important foreign alliances.

NATO Chief Jens Stoltenberg said it was “essential for the continued strength of the transatlantic bond on which our alliance is founded.”

“For almost 70 years the unique partnership between Europe and North America has ensured peace and prosperity on both sides of the Atlantic. …That is an achievement we can never take for granted,” Stoltenberg said.

 

Stoltenberg told reporters, as he released his annual report on the world’s biggest military alliance, that countries still do not have fair burden sharing within the alliance.

The U.S., Britain, Estonia, debt-plagued Greece and Poland were the only nations that met the target of spending 2 percent of gross domestic product on defense.

 

“All allies should reach this goal. All allies have agreed to do it at the highest level,” he said, referring to an agreement by presidents and prime ministers in 2014.

In 2016, defense spending within the U.S.-led alliance rose 3.8 percent or $10 billion (9.3 billion euros), according to findings — reversing the downturn in 2015 and last year.

“In 2017, we must redouble our efforts to sustain the positive momentum and speed up national efforts to keep our pledge,” Stoltenberg said.

During the presidential election campaign, Trump said he would not defend allies who fail to meet the target, causing unease among the 28-nation military alliance, especially nations bordering Russia.

In his recent speech to the U.S. Congress, Trump said following “very strong and frank discussions,” NATO members are stepping up their contributions.”I can tell you the money is pouring in,” Trump said, though he did not elaborate.

далі →


Iraqis Capture IS Women’s Prison, Free Detainees

Advancing Iraqi forces in western Mosul have captured a textile factory that Islamic State (IS) used to as a jail to hold women, officials inside the city told VOA.

“The Islamic State imprisoned nearly 300 women in the building,” Gayath Surchi, the speaker of Patriotic Union of Kurdistan party in Mosul told VOA.

The textile factory is located between al-Mansour and Wadi al-Hajar neighborhoods in western Mosul and came under the Iraqi control Sunday night, according to Surchi.

Mines slow rescue

Another Kurdish official in Mosul, Said Mamozini, told VOA that the factory was besieged by Iraqi forces last week but IS mines planted around the building prevented them from further advancing.

“There are heavy clashes with IS fighters in nearby neighborhoods until now,” Mamozini told VOA.

The officials said the identity of the rescued women remained unclear pending an investigation. But officials believe many of the women belong to the Yazidi religious minority sect. IS kidnapped many Yazidi women in 2014 and enslaved them.

Women will be taken to refugee camps

Surchi said the women will be transferred to refugee camps in northern Mosul where they will be identified and reunited with their families.

“The women are under the Iraqi forces’ protection but haven’t been evacuated yet because of IS snipers and bombing,” he said

“Their ages vary between 20-year-old to 70-years-old and some of them speak Kurdish,” Surchi said. “This makes me expect those women to be our Yazidi mothers and daughters.”

IS attacked Sinjar, the ancestral capital for more than 200,000 Yazidis in August 2014, killing roughly 5,000 of its male residents and enslaving thousands of women and children. The women were reportedly used as sex slaves, while the children are taught IS ideology.

According to the Iraqi Kurdistan’s Directorate of Yazidi Affairs, roughly 2,500 Yazidi women and children are still under IS control in Syria and Iraq.

далі →


Яноша Адера повторно обрали президентом Угорщини на наступні 5 років

Парламент Угорщини переобрав президентом країни Яноша Адера, якого висунула правоцентристська урядова коаліція партій «ФІДЕС» і християнських демократів.

Як інформує кореспондент Радіо Свобода, Адер отримав 131 голос. За Ласла Майтейні, кандидата від лівої опозиції, проголосували 39 депутатів.

Жоден із кандидатів не отримав необхідних двох третин голосів у першому турі. Відтак у наступному турі переможця в особі Яноша Адера визначили на підставі принципу простої більшості голосів парламентарів.

П’ятий президент Угорщини Янош Адер народився у 1959 році. Почергово займав посади заступника і спікера Національних зборів Угорщини, обирався депутатом Європарламенту.

Після зміни громадсько-політичного устрою в Угорщині у 1989 році парламент цієї країни всьоме обирає президента. За конституцією, голова цієї держави несе відповідальність за національну єдність, слідкує за дотриманням демократичних норм в устрої держави і є головнокомандувачем Збройних сил Угорщини. Закон визначає, що президента країни можуть переобирати тільки один раз.

далі →


Death Toll Passes 60 in Ethiopia Garbage Landslide

The death toll from the landslide at a massive garbage dump in Ethiopia’s capital has climbed to more than 60 people.

Ethiopian government media said Monday that at least 62 died in the weekend disaster, while Addis Ababa Mayor Deriba Kuma put the death toll at 65, including 20 men and 45 women.

Communications Minister Negeri Lencho said that “several people are still missing; the search will continue.”

Dozens were buried when a mountain of trash at the 50-year-old Koshe dumpsite came crashing down with little warning on Saturday.

Some of the victims were squatters living in shacks at the site; others were scavengers who dig through the garbage every day, looking for items to sell.

“The accident was so huge that we do not know the number of people who have died and who survived,” one survivor told a VOA Horn of Africa reporter in Addis Ababa.

The government did not give a cause for the landfill collapse, but squatters blamed it on a biogas plant being constructed nearby.

Rights group Amnesty International said the tragedy was preventable. It said Ethiopian officials knew the landfill was full but continued to dump trash there and let people live and scavenge at the site.

“These people … had no option but to live and work in such a hazardous environment because of the government’s failure to protect their right to adequate housing and decent work,” the group said in a statement.

It called on the government to account for the missing and provide survivors of the landslide with safe housing and working conditions.

Funeral services for the victims took place around the city Monday, with government officials in attendance.

далі →


У ЄС заявили про заявлену готовність «Газпрому» виконувати правила Євросоюзу

У Європейському союзі заявили про заявлену готовність російського газового монополіста «Газпром» виконувати правила ЄС, що може стати виходом із п’ятирічного антимонопольного процесу і зняти з російської компанії загрозу штрафу в 10 відсотків від його всесвітнього обороту.

Як повідомила єврокомісар у справах конкуренції Марґрете Вестаґер, «Газпром» подав ЄС пропозиції, що містять «важливі поліпшення, які мають забезпечити вільні потоки газу за конкурентноздатними цінами».

Зокрема, за її словами, російська компанія погодилася прибрати з усіх чинних контрактів заборону для покупців перепродавати куплений газ за кордони ЄС чи обмеження на такий перепродаж, наприклад, у вигляді вимоги платити «Газпромові» частку прибутків від цього. Це має стосуватися і всіх майбутніх контрактів «Газпрому», додала єврокомісар.

Якщо «Газпром» порушить ці зобов’язання, Євросоюз зможе оштрафувати російську компанію на суму до 10 відсотків від її всесвітнього оборону без необхідності знову доводити порушення нею антимонопольних норм ЄС, наголосила Вестаґер.

Країни ЄС, незгодні з пропозиціями «Газпрому», можуть до 4 травня подати офіційні заперечення, аж до вимоги домагатися змін у цих пропозиціях.

«Газпром», що постачає до Євросоюзу третину споживаного там природного газу, від 2012 року перебуває під розглядом антимонопольних регуляторів ЄС. 2015 року це призвело до розгляду антимонопольної справи, за результатами якого було встановлено, що «Газпром» правив зі споживачів у восьми країнах Середньої і Східної Європи надмірні ціни за свій газ і блокував можливість для цих країн купити газ у конкурентів на порушення норм ЄС.

далі →


EU Commissioner Says Gazprom Appears Set To Comply With Antitrust Rules

EU Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager says Russia’s state-run gas giant Gazprom appears ready to comply with European Union rules in order to end a five-year antitrust case and avoid fines.

далі →


ДПСУ: правозахисники перетнули адмінкордон з Кримом на законних підставах

Правозахисники, яких 13 березня затримали російські силовики на адмінкордоні з Кримом, перетнули КПВВ «Каланчак» на законних підставах. Про це проекту Радіо Свобода, сайту Крим.Реалії повідомив представник Держприкордонслужби України Олег Слободян.

При цьому він зазначив, що українському відомству нічого не відомо про те, що зараз відбувається з правозахисниками, які перебувають на підконтрольній Росії території.

«Ми ніяких зв’язків з окупантом на окупованому півострові не підтримуємо, тому ситуації, яка сталася на їх пункті пропуску, ми не знаємо. Ці громадяни адмінкордон перетнули на законних підставах. Що сталося на пункті пропуску окупанта, ми, на жаль, не знаємо», – сказав Слободян.

Вдень 13 березня стало відомо про затримання групи правозахисників, в тому числі Ольги Скрипник і представника офісу українського омбудсмена на пункті пропуску «Каланчак» на адмінкордоні з Кримом і материковою Україною.

В офісі уповноваженого Верховної Ради України з прав людини Крим.Реалії підтвердили, що співробітник офісу перебуває з групою правозахисників на адмінкордоні з Кримом, з боку анексованого Росією півострова, але відмовилися назвати прізвище свого співробітника.

Ольга Скрипник – правозахисниця, координатор Кримської правозахисної групи, працює в Центрі громадянської освіти «Альменда». Після анексії Криму переїхала з Ялти на материкову Україну.

З переходом Криму під контроль Росії на півострові ФСБ проводить регулярні обшуки та допити журналістів, активістів, громадських діячів, відбуваються затримання серед представників кримськотатарського населення. Правозахисники характеризують це як «боротьбу з інакомисленням».

Міністерство закордонних справ України висловило стурбованість переслідуванням громадян України в анексованому Криму і закликало припинити тиск.

далі →


Ukrainian Activists Brick Up Entrance To Russian Bank

Ukrainian nationalists bricked up the entrance of a major Russian bank in Kyiv. The protest came after Sberbank said it would recognize passports issued by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, something it later denied it would do in Ukraine. (RFE/RL’s Ukrainian Service)

далі →


UNICEF: 2016 Worst Year Yet For Children In Syria’s Civil War

The United Nations says 2016 was the worst year yet for children affected by Syria’s six-year-long civil war, with at least 652 being killed and many millions more suffering as refugees.

далі →


Serbia Defense Chief Says Putin Soon To Approve Delivery Of Fighter Jets

The Serbian defense chief says he expects Russian President Vladimir Putin to soon approve delivery of six MiG-29 fighter jets to Serbia.

далі →